DIGITAL BALANCE FOR BETTER
The most common question asked by young people most especially young women and girls is how do I have timely and easy access to
Information and opportunities about Education, Job opportunity, Agriculture and Health? The common answer is simple “Digital
Empowerment”. How can girls ensure that? #DigitalBalance4Better is a campaign by Girls Education Mission International that seeks to
enhance awareness, mobilize broad support and provide practical digital literacy as essential tool for further learning, empowerment and
civic engagement among young women ages 10 – 25 years. The tittle of the initiative is purposely a hashtag to maximize the vitality of the
awareness raising campaign.
BACKGROUND /PROBLEM /CHALLENGE
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) had much promises as empowering tools for young people to learn, thrive and grow.
Unfortunately, there is a distinct gender gap in the use of technology tools and resources. Recently World Pulse reveals that there are 200
million fewer women than men who can access the internet. Globally, women are 25% less likely than men to have digital skills” keeping
young women systematically underserved. Furthermore, experience shows that Girls have limited access to STEM Education.
One way of addressing this concern, is increasing digital literacy, curating digital content that helps sustain women and girls’ interest in digital
literacy, STEM, investing in economic empowerment, and creating social networks where young women and girls can feel safe and supported
online. The goal of the #DitalBalance4Better is to promote STEM Education among girls who have limited access to such training to increase
their ability to use technologies as well as social and emotional skills needed to safely navigate the digital tools in the world we live.
#DigitalBalance4Better is designed to incorporate three innovative component objectives:
1. Combining a focus on digital education and literacy to help equip girls to participate in the digital economy and access higher-paid jobs.
2. Empower girls with technology tools and resources to solve related issues affecting them.
3. Providing social and emotional skills girls need to develop themselves personally and professionally.
LONG TERM IMPACT/ RESULT/ OUTCOME
Providing young women and girls with Digital skills, tool & resources will aid in creating an environment that promotes innovation,
creativity and livelihood.
#DigitalBalance4Better has the following goals:
1. To train 370 Nigerian girls ages 10-25 annually on variety technology skills including, productivity tools, web design and other
2. Provide mentorship through linkages and referrals for women to a safe and comfortable space to globally grow their voice,
networks and connections using
World Pulse tools including incorporating the World Pulse digital empowering contents into the existing digital program of Girls
Education Mission International.
3. To encourage dialogue, advocate, raise awareness and create space for scaling up successful policies and programs on access to
tools and resources for women and girls.
370 young women and girls ages 10 – 25 IN Nigeria are the primary (direct) beneficiaries of #DIgitalBalance4Better while their families, parents
will be the final (indirect)
beneficiaries. Other stakeholders include traditional, religious and community leaders who must grappled with social delinquencies affecting
youths in their respective localities.
PARTNERSHIP & SUPPORT
#DigitalBalance4Better is a big goal and a task that cannot be accomplish alone. Harnessing the perspective strength of partners is necessary
– be it in funding, expertise,
materials or others. Top of our needs are space for trainings, computers, software’s, and other technical support. We are looking forward to:
1. Donors who will donate funds or the materials needed.
2. Professionals in various technology skills who are willing to give their time, skills and expertise, energy to provide digital skills
3. Passionate & skillful volunteers who are willing to engage in the campaign promotional activities such as media outreach via
4. Cooperate bodies – as schools, communities, organization, churches etc. who believe in our vision and willing to have us for
awareness and advocacy.
can join #DigitalBalance4Better to create a lasting investment in the lives of young women and girls.
#DigitalBlance4Better has so far impacted the lives of 56 young women and girls various technology workshops, Digital advocacy seminars.
Information and communication technology had much promise as empowering tools for women and girls who are critically dependent on timely and easy access to information about agriculture, employment and especially education opportunities. Our Digital empowerment training is a guided exploration of Intel Corporation, Worldpulse and Technovation curriculum on how women and girls can use technology in their personal and professional life. Our core lessons includes:
Our She Will Connect digital training programs provide girls with the knowledge that will enable them succeed in a Digital World. Through guided exploration we teach girls and women how to use technology in their personal and professional life.
Basic computer skills to build fundamental knowledge about device use.
Productivity tools to help manage data, document and display multimedia.
Internet exploration and the use of email and online communication tools.
Strategies for staying safe online
Using social media for communication and building online communities