Girls Education Mission International
A Global Award Winning Organisation with Best Practice in Education and Empowerment of Girls
Who We Are
We are Girls Education Mission International, a nonprofit organization legally registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC/IT/NO: (45818). We are also registered with Special Control Unit against Money Laundery (SCULM) of the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with registration number (RN:SC 321400084). GEM has Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council ( ECOSOC) and is a credited member of the Nigerian Network of Nongovernmental organization (NNNGO) as well with the World Alliance for citizens participation (CIVICUS). Our Mission is to support girls in reaching their potentials focused on defending, protecting and promoting their right to education based on the following values.
HOW WE HELP
WE CHANGE THE LIFE OF THOSE
WHO HAVE NO HOPE
We provide strong support structures to young girls withto be informed, inspired and motivated.
We provide free sanitary Pad to those girls who misses out of because they are on their menstrual period.
We provide scholarship to girls who are at risked of dropping out from school due to lack of strong motivation access.
We engage in strengthening the skills, instinct, abilities girls need to survive, adapt, and thrive in the fast changing digital world.
Unique Vulnerability of Girls
- 32.1 million girls of primary school age (about 6 to 11 years), 29.1 million of lower secondary (about 12 to 14 years old), 69.1 million of upper secondary (about 15 to 17 years old) are out of school. (UNESCO, 2016)
- 30% of girls in the world are not enrolled in secondary school.
- Women make up nearly two thirds of the world’s illiterate adults. (UNESCO, 2016)r
- Globally, about one third of women aged 20 to 24 were child brides. (UNICEF, 2016)
- 57% of music features a female portrayed as commodity in exchange of wealth in poverty situations.
- Annually over 23 million girls worldwide are subjected to harmful cultural practices like female genital mutilation and force married, and thousands teenage suffer needlessly from obstetric fistula.
“130 MILLION GIRLS ARE OUT OF SCHOOL WORLDWIDE”
The need for Solidarity
Women who are educated
- Are more able to influence their future
- Reduce the risk of child mortality.
- Are less likely to become victims of domestic or sexual abuse.
- Are 50% more likely to have their child immunized.
- Are less likely to be taken advantage of; less likely to contract HIV/AIDS.
- Are better equipped to contribute to the family income and so are able to reduce poverty rate.
- Are healthier and tend to have greater self esteem and self confidence
- Women who are educated see the potential and need to promote education in others.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the live of Girls?
Join your hand with us for a better life and beautiful future for girls.
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE BIG DIFFERENCE
FROM MY HEART TO YOURS
Warm welcome message
By Keturah Shammah
Founder-Girls Education Mission International
Hello and welcome to official website of Girls Education Mission International. As the Founder, it is my lifestyle that I am always thinking about you wondering who you are what struggles you are facing as a girl or woman. A sour in my mouth as I remember my struggles as a girl and now a wife and mother. I knew the feeling of being overwhelmed by threat of extreme poverty on my education. I felt pessimistic after snapping the chaos around me particularly in an African context. I’ve felt the frustration of wasted time and energy because I couldn’t something at the time I needed it. As I remember, I long to give each of you a kiss and hug of encouragement and whisper ” KEEP GOING, IT’S WORTH IT”. But I know from personal experience that my kiss or hug is not what you really need. Whether you realize it or not, like no other time in history, women and girls are looking for real answers to life questions. And so FROM MY HEART TO YOUR, I consider it a great privilege and honor to welcome and address you here.